Saturday, March 31, 2012

A Special Post From Belarus

I received a history lesson from Belarus the other day. The sender put together a wonderful written collection of her country's history and sent it to me. It includes the story of the Radzivill family and the legend which grew up around that family. The Radzivill family was an important part of the Reformation period and the first catechism in the Belarusian language was printed during the time of Duke Mikolaj Radzivill, Chancellor of Lithuania and Viovoda of Vilnius. Belarus used to be called Rzeczpopolito. The Radzivill dynasty lasted from 1523 - 1939.

A tragic love story gave rise to the legend which is called the Black Lady because of the ghost involved.

Portrait of Janusz Radzivill, 1652; in the National Art Museum of Belarus

Nezvizh Castle of the Radzivill family




A brochure showing the play The Black Lady of Nesvizh - quite a production!

Probably the best collection of information about a country I've ever received!



Click on any photo you want to see closer.


I'd love for you to visit me at my art blog, A Rabbit In The Garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment